Big Sisters Welcomes Hanne Madsen as New Executive Director
Hanne Madsen became the Executive Director of Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland in April 2018. A strong advocate for women, Hanne is dedicated to championing girls’ potential in her leadership of the talented Big Sisters team.
Throughout her career, Hanne has been unwavering in her support and promotion of women’s causes. Whether it’s as the co-owner of a successful transportation business for 24 years, a passionate facilitator for Junior Achievement, a Chair or Director on multiple Boards (including GroYourBiz—a peer to peer advisory board for women business owners and entrepreneurs), or an organizing committee member for Women as a Catalyst for Growth economic forums and the inaugural WeForShe conference, Hanne truly leads by example.
And, this perseverance does not go unnoticed in her community. In 2015, Hanne received Surrey Board of Trade’s Women in Business Award for Corporate/Leadership. Most recently, she was appointed as a Regional Ambassador council member for Women Get on Board, and in 2012 she was appointed to Diversity 50 by the Canadian Board Diversity Council.
Hanne has more than 20 years of experience in strategic planning, marketing, operational & HR management, financial analysis, advocacy, and media relations. Additionally, she brings 23 years of board and governance experience, including:
- Board Chair of Kwantlen Polytechnic University (current)
- Board Chair of the Fraser Health Patient Care Quality Review Board (current)
- Director of the Westminster Savings Credit Union and the Chair of their Foundation board (current)
- Chair and Facilitator for GroYourBiz (2012 to 2017)
- Board Director the British Columbia Trucking Association (BCTA) for 14 years—in 2002, she was appointed as the Chair of BCTA, and to date, remains the only woman to have attained that position in the 104-year history of the association
She resides in South Surrey with her husband and together they enjoy an active lifestyle of skiing and snowshoeing in the winter and paddling, cycling and hiking in the summer.
Big Sisters is honoured to have such a strong leader, dedicated to women’s causes, at the helm of our organization.