BECOME A Big Sister
Making a Difference, One Match at a Time
The Big Sisters Mentoring program matches Lower Mainland female, female-identifying, non-binary, and transgender youth between the ages of 7-17 with a volunteer Big Sister in a one-to-one mentoring relationship.
“Watching my Little grow is the most rewarding aspect. Seeing her become a young adult, and gain the confidence to speak about their dreams and goals is what I enjoy the most as a mentor.”
The Big Sisters mentoring program matches Lower Mainland female, transgender, and non-binary youth (ages 7-17) with a volunteer Big Sister in a one-to-one mentoring relationship. For a minimum of 1 year, each Big and Little match meets once a week for 2-4 hours. Matches enjoy doing a wide variety of free and low-cost activities together including crafts, sports, movies and just hanging out and talking!
Our volunteers are age 19 or older and provide us with a criminal record check and references. They are trained in child safety and screened and monitored by our professional staff throughout their involvement with the program.
Big Sisters strive to do the following:
- Provide a role model and friend for young female, transgender, and non-binary youth (ages 7-17)
- Promote the importance of staying in school and healthy relationships with family and peers
- Instill trust and self-confidence in order to make healthy decisions
- Encourage leadership skills and independent thinking
- Above all, make a difference while having fun!
To become a Big Sister mentor, you must be:
- Able to be matched in the Lower Mainland
- Age 19 or older female, transgender, or non-binary individual
- Mature, stable, reliable, and respectful of others
- A Canadian resident for the past year (or able to provide an International Criminal Records Check)
- Able to commit to spending 2-4 hours a week with your Little Sister or Little Sibling for a minimum of 1 year (yes, occasional vacations and work travel are fine!)
- Interested in developing a positive friendship with youth aged 7 – 17
- As we work with vulnerable populations, it is strongly recommended that you are fully vaccinated or in the process of getting fully vaccinated.
If you reside in Langley, please contact:Big Brothers Big Sisters Langley
If you reside in Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows, Abbotsford or Chilliwack please contact: Big Brothers Big Sisters Fraser Valley
To access the application form, enter your info below!
Big Sisters: Become a Mentor Application Pre-FormThis form will create an automatic inquiry creation in Dynamics following volunteers who have entered their information on the pre-form.
Please feel free to contact email@example.com with any questions.
You will receive a confirmation email when you submit your application. Due to staff capacity and current waitlists, it may be sometime before we process your application and contact your references.
- Once we begin to process your application, you will receive an email to let you know that your references will be contacted.
- Once all your references are complete, we will be in touch to register you for a virtual training session.
- After you attend training, your caseworker will schedule a virtual screening interview with you.
- Finally, your application will be reviewed for acceptance.
- Once accepted, your caseworker will begin to look for a Little to match you with. Our intention is to create meaningful and long lasting matches, as such we try our best to consider your preferences and the needs of your Little and their family. We try to match you with a Little who lives in your area and shares similar interests, life experiences, etc.
- Matches may be virtual or in person, based on the preference of the family. However, in person meetings are a more effective way to build long lasting connections and meaningful experiences with your Little.
- Your caseworker will provide you and your Little with ongoing support and check-ins during your match.
With these considerations as well as the capacity within our team members, we cannot confirm when your application will be processed or when you will be matched. But we want you to know that we appreciate your time and interest in volunteering with us and will be in touch as soon as we can begin processing.
Questions About Our Study Buddy Program? We’re here to help! Fill out the form and a team member will get back to you shortly.