“Mentoring is important because everybody needs someone to look up to.” – Little Study Buddy Haleluya
Girls with a mentor are 2.5 times more confident in their ability to be successful at school.
“I never would’ve thought I could be the kind of person who could go to college and accomplish it, but I can.” – Little Study Buddy Olimpia
Step 1. General Information
The Study Buddy program is a weekly one-to-one mentoring relationship that focuses on school work. Littles in this program not only improve their academics but also report a higher level of self-esteem. This program is for all female identifying youth who need academic assistance.
- Provide an academic role model to female identified youth aged 7-17
- Increase educational performance
- Promote the importance of staying in school and increase school attendance
- Enhance educational goal setting
- Decrease disruptive behaviour in school
Study Buddies work together to set appropriate educational goals for the Little. With the support of a Study Buddy tutor, Little Study Buddies are encouraged and equipped to improve their educational performance and meet their academic goals, which contributes to their overall self-esteem.
Questions? Click Here
Step 2. Requirements
To become a Study Buddy mentor, you must be:
- Age 19 or older female, transgender, or non-binary individual
- Mature, stable, reliable and respectful of others
- Canadian resident for the past year (or able to provide an International Criminal Records Check)
- Able to commit to spending one hour a week with your Little Study Buddy for at least six months (yes, occasional vacations and work travel are fine!)
- Interested in helping a girl, transgender youth, or non-binary youth aged 7-17 reach their academic goals
- Have a high school diploma and some post-secondary (in-progress or complete)
- Have experience helping others learn
- Fluent in reading, writing, and speaking English
- As we work with vulnerable populations you must be fully vaccinated or in the process of getting fully vaccinated
Step 3. Apply Now!
We’re so glad you’re interested in becoming a Big Sisters mentor! Before continuing, please take a moment to review our Frequently Asked Questions about being a mentor:
The application form is quite detailed. We gather as much information as possible so we can make the best match between you and a Little Study Buddy. Instructions to initiate your Criminal Records Check (CRC) are in the application form and will also be emailed to you.
We are still recruiting volunteers, but due to the continuation of the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on our Littles and families’ personal circumstances, we are experiencing delays in processing and matching our volunteers in the program.
We have a need for Cantonese and Mandarin speaking Study Buddies in order to better support the families that we serve.
To access the application form, enter your info below!
Step 4. Next Steps
You will receive a confirmation email when you submit your application. Due to current COVID-19 safety restrictions it may be sometime before we process your application and contact your references. When we process your application, you will receive an email to let you know that your references will be contacted. Once all your references are complete, we will be in touch to register you for a training session. Currently our training sessions are held virtually. After you attend training your caseworker will schedule a virtual interview with you.
Finally, your application will be reviewed for acceptance. Once accepted, your caseworker will begin to look for a Little Study Buddy to match you with. We try to match you with a Little Study Buddy who lives in your area that needs academic support in your preferred subjects and grade level.
Your caseworker will provide you with ongoing support and check-ins during your match.