“Now that I have been in Go Girls I will take care of myself better and stop putting myself down.” – Go Girls! Participant
95% of girls who complete the Go Girls! program feel good about themselves and 93% feel good about the way they look.
“The mentors always make me feel good about myself, even when I think I’m not good enough.” – Go Girls! Participant
Step 1. General Information
Social pressures for girls to be perfect are at an all time high. Go Girls! helps girls overcome these pressures by building the necessary confidence and self-awareness to thrive.
This eight-week group mentoring program for girls aged 10 to 14 promotes active lifestyles, balanced eating, and building self-esteem.
Go Girls! helps adolescent girls:
- Learn the tools and information they need to lead and maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Enhance their competence, confidence and self-esteem regarding active living and healthy eating
- Build their leadership and life skills
The program runs once a week for two hours after school (3-5pm or 2:30-4:30pm). Participating schools are located in Richmond, Burnaby, New West, Tri-Cities, Surrey, and Delta.
Mentors use program curriculum to lead activities and discussions for a group of 8-10 girls at each school. Volunteers are placed at a school based on their availability and location with 1-2 other co-mentors.
Step 2. Requirements
To become a Go Girls! Mentor, you should be:
- 19-30 years of age (recommended)
- Self-identified female or non-binary individual
- Canadian resident for the past year (or able to provide an International Criminal Records Check)
- Available at least one consistent weekday for the eight-week term during the program time
- Passionate about healthy living, physical activity, and self-esteem
- Reliable, resourceful, and interested in building relationships with children
Being a Go Girls! mentor, you will get the opportunity to:
- Improve your leadership, group facilitation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Gain experience working with youth and group management within a school environment
- Become part of the Go Girls! mentor community
Step 3. Apply Now!
We’re so glad you’re interested in becoming a Go Girls! mentor. Before continuing, please take a moment to review the following slideshow about being a mentor:
Upcoming Go Girls Terms & Application Deadlines:
Spring 2020 Term
Runs from April 20 through June 19, 2020
Application Deadline: March 9, 2020
Training: Saturday April 4, 2020
Instructions to initiate your Criminal Records Check (CRC) are in the application form and will also be emailed to you. Don’t forget to include a picture of yourself and confirm that you initiated your CRC after you submit your application.
To access the application form, enter your info below! We process volunteer application on a first come first served basis, so please apply early.
Step 4. Next Steps
You will receive a confirmation email when you submit your application.
Within 2-4 weeks your application will be processed, your references will be contacted, and we will be in touch to schedule an in-person interview.
After your interview, we will confirm your registration in the next Go Girls! training session. Your criminal record check and references must be complete before training.