“Now that I have been in Go Girls I will take care of myself better and stop putting myself down.” – Go Girls! Participant
95% of girls who complete the Go Girls! program feel good about themselves and 93% feel good about the way they look.
“The mentors always make me feel good about myself, even when I think I’m not good enough.” – Go Girls! Participant
Step 1. General Information
Social pressures for girls to be perfect are at an all time high. Go Girls! helps girls overcome these pressures by building the necessary confidence and self-awareness to thrive.
This eight-week group mentoring program for girls aged 10 to 14 promotes active lifestyles, balanced eating, and building self-esteem. We have recently taken the program online due to COVID-19.
Go Girls! helps adolescent girls:
- Learn the tools and information they need to lead and maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Enhance their competence, confidence and self-esteem regarding active living and healthy eating
- Build their leadership and life skills
The program runs once a week for two hours after school (3-5pm or 2:30-4:30pm). Participating schools are located in Richmond, Burnaby, New West, Tri-Cities, Surrey, and Delta.
Mentors use program curriculum to lead activities and discussions for a group of 8-10 girls at each school. Volunteers are placed at a school based on their availability and location with 1-2 other co-mentors.
Questions? Click Here
Step 2. Requirements
To become a Go Girls! Mentor, you should be:
- 19-30 years of age (recommended)
- Self-identified female or non-binary individual
- Canadian resident for the past year (or able to provide an International Criminal Records Check)
- Available at least one consistent weekday for the eight-week term during the program time
- Passionate about healthy living, physical activity, and self-esteem
- Reliable, resourceful, and interested in building relationships with children
Being a Go Girls! mentor, you will get the opportunity to:
- Improve your leadership, group facilitation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Gain experience working with youth and group management within a school environment
- Become part of the Go Girls! mentor community
Step 3. Apply Now!
We’re so glad you’re interested in becoming a Go Girls! mentor. Before continuing, please take a moment to review the following slideshow about being a mentor:
Upcoming Go Girls Terms & Application Deadlines:
We are still accepting applications, however placements will not happen until 2021.
Instructions to initiate your Criminal Records Check (CRC) are in the application form and will also be emailed to you. Don’t forget to include a picture of yourself and confirm that you initiated your CRC after you submit your application.
We are still recruiting volunteers, but due to COVID-19 it will take us longer to process your application and match you in our program. Please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
To access the application form, enter your info below! We process volunteer application on a first come first served basis, so please apply early.
Step 4. Next Steps
You will receive a confirmation email when you submit your application. Please note, Go Girls! Placements will not happen until 2021 and it may be some time before we process your application and contact your references. When we process your application, you will receive an email to let you know that your references will be contacted.
Once your application has been processed, a Go Girls Program Coordinator will be in touch with you to schedule an interview. After your interview, we will confirm your registration in the Go Girls! training session.
Once your references, criminal record check, and training are complete, your application will be reviewed for acceptance. Your Program Coordinator will provide you with ongoing support and check-ins during your placement.