“The girls made new friends, are more comfortable speaking their minds and seem to be smiling brighter.” – Go Girls! Mentor Laura
63% of girls who completed Go Girls! feel there are a number of good things about themselves compared to 45% who felt this way before the program.
“I feel that I made a lasting impact on the lives of young girls and have given them with tools to take on challenges in life” – Go Girls! Mentor Chiara
Step 1. General Information
Go Girls! is a group mentoring program for girls aged 11-14 that focuses on physical activity, balanced eating and self-esteem. It’s an eight-week program that runs in schools in Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey and the Tri-Cities (Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and Port Moody) areas.
Social pressures for girls to be perfect are at an all time high. Go Girls! promotes the benefit of an active, healthy lifestyle and helps girls overcome these pressures by building the necessary confidence and self-awareness to thrive.
The program runs for 2 hours after school (typically 3PM to 5PM or 2:30PM to 4:30PM) once a week for a total of eight weeks. Each session, led by female mentors aged 19 to 30, incorporates fun and educational activities to stimulate mentor-participant relationship building as well as group discussions about healthy living and emotional, social and cultural issues. The program strives to help adolescent girls:
- Get the tools and information they need to lead and maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Enhance their competence, confidence and self-esteem regarding active living and healthy eating
- Build their leadership and life skills
Step 2. Requirements
In order to be a Go Girls! Mentor, you must be:
- 19 to 30 years of age
- Canadian resident for the past year (or able to provide an International Criminal Records Check)
- Able to commit to facilitating an 8 week Go Girls! term in a Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam or Surrey school (3 hours per week)
- Available at least one consistent weekday for the 8 week term between the hours of 2:30pm-5:30pm (2:00pm-5:00pm for Surrey) which includes set up and clean up time
- Enthusiastic, caring, energetic and passionate about healthy living and physical activity
- Mature, stable, reliable, respectful and will be accepting of all Go Girls! participants
- Experience working with youth is an asset
- Education in the field of social work, counselling, human kinetics, education, psychology, dietetics, nursing or other fields related to healthy living, balanced eating and self-esteem/self-confidence is an asset
Being a Go Girls! mentor, you will get the opportunity to:
- Empower adolescent girls to be themselves and increase their self-confidence
- Improve your leadership, group facilitation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Work within a school environment and gain classroom management experience
- Increase self-confidence, self-esteem and self-awareness
- Increase your personal and professional development through attending Go Girls! training session
- Network through meeting other volunteers
Step 3. Apply Now!
Upcoming Go Girls Terms & Application Deadlines:
Spring 2017 Term
- Runs from the week of April 18, 2017 to the week of June 5, 2017
- Application Deadline: Friday March 17, 2017
- Training (mandatory): Saturday April 8, 2017
Fall 2017 Term
- Check back soon for dates and details!
The application form is quite detailed. We do this to ensure that we can gather as much information as possible in order to make the best match. Instructions to initiate your Criminal Records Check (CRC) are in the application document. Don’t forget to include a picture of yourself and confirm that you initiated your CRC when you send us your application.
Download the application form, save your answers and send to us!
Step 4. Next Steps
You will receive a confirmation email when you submit your application. Your application will be processed and your references contacted within 2-4 weeks. Once all your references are complete, we will be in touch to schedule an in-person interview with you. After your interview, we will confirm your registration in the next Go Girls! training session. Finally, your application will be reviewed for acceptance. Once accepted, we will confirm your school placement for the upcoming term.