“I’m usually very shy and quiet, but I’m definitely more outgoing and fun with my Big Sister.” – Little Sister Eleanor
Girls who have a positive mentor are less likely to engage in destructive behaviour such as bullying, fighting, binge drinking or drug use.
“This program has allowed my daughter to believe in herself with the guidance of her Big Sister.” – Parent of Little Sister
Step 1. General Information
It’s a tough world out there. Big Sisters and Big Siblings provide supportive mentoring relationships to young girls, transgender youth, and non-binary youth who may be facing challenges like bullying, isolation, poverty, abuse, social anxiety, low self-esteem, and more. Research shows that mentoring has a powerful impact on the lives of young people. We know that 96 percent of adults who had a mentor in their youth say they are happy and 92 percent feel confident.
Through regular outings, a relationship is developed between the mentor and the Little, built on trust and common interests, and is supported by our experienced caseworkers. The result is a life-changing experience for both the volunteer mentor and Little Sister/Little Sibling.
Big Sisters/Big Siblings strive to do the following:
- Provide a role model and friend for young female, transgender, and non-binary youth (ages 7-17)
- Promote the importance of staying in school and healthy relationships with family and peers
- Instill trust and self-confidence in order to make healthy decisions
- Encourage leadership skills and independent thinking
- Above all, make a difference while having fun! (Check out our match activity ideas!)
Questions? Click Here
Step 2. Requirements
To become a Big Sister mentor, you must be:
- Able to be matched in the Lower Mainland
- Age 19 or older female, transgender, or non-binary individual
- Mature, stable, reliable, and respectful of others
- A Canadian resident for the past year (or able to provide an International Criminal Records Check)
- Able to commit to spending 2-4 hours a week with your Little Sister or Little Sibling for a minimum of 1 year (yes, occasional vacations and work travel are fine!)
- Interested in developing a positive friendship with a youth aged 7-17
- As we work with vulnerable populations, it is strongly recommended that you are fully vaccinated or in the process of getting fully vaccinated.
Step 3. Apply Now!
Thank you for your interest in applying to become a Big Sisters Volunteer. We are not accepting applications for new volunteers at this time, however we hope to open applications again in 2022.
We are still accepting volunteer applications for our Study Buddy program, click here for more information.
To be notified when Big Sisters Mentors applications are open again, please fill out the form here.
Step 4. Next Steps
You will receive a confirmation email when you submit your application. Due to current COVID-19 safety restrictions it may be sometime before we process your application and contact your references. When we process your application, you will receive an email to let you know that your references will be contacted. Once all your references are complete, we will be in touch to register you for a training session. Currently our training sessions are held virtually. After you attend training your caseworker will schedule a virtual screening interview with you.
Finally, your application will be reviewed for acceptance. Once accepted, your caseworker will begin to look for a Little Sister to match you with. We try to match you with a Little who lives in your area and shares similar interests. Matches are currently meeting virtually at first and then transitioning to socially distanced in person hang outs due to COVID-19. Your caseworker will provide you with ongoing support and check-ins during your match.