Mission, Vision and Core Values
Our Mission is to enable life-changing mentoring relationships to ignite the power and potential of young people.
Our Vision is that all young people realized their full potential
Our Core Values are:
- We Champion Potential
- Every Connection Counts
- Showing Up Matters
Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland (Big Sisters) is a non-profit society and proud member agency of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada Federation. We are committed to enhancing the confidence, self-esteem and well-being of girls, non-binary or transgender youth. Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland is a leader in mentoring youth and providing ongoing support through a variety of engaging programs. Our organization is committed to diversity and inclusion and we encourage applications from those who identify as Indigenous, a person of colour, LGBTQ2+, a person with a disability or other community that experiences additional barriers. Join us and make a positive difference in the lives of others in the community.
Why it’s great to work with us:
Big Sisters is a friendly, inclusive and committed team who offers their employees fifteen vacation days within the first year as well as fifteen well-being days. We provide a generous health care and extended benefits package, including prescription drugs and dental plan. As well, we provide our employees with a professional development allocation and various learning opportunities. Ignite your full potential with Big Sisters!
Is this you?
You are an energetic, responsible and positive person, with a strong commitment to our mission. You enjoying working behind the scenes to organize and assist with our fundraising events and goals. You understand the importance of attention to detail and completing tasks by a given due date. You thrive in an environment were you can work with many different people both internally and externally to the organization.
You will provide leadership, development, coordination and execution of all Big Sisters events (including Spring Social, MegaBike, Luminary Award Soirée and GrapeJuice), community fundraising events and corporate partnerships. You play a key role in the organization and implementation of all fundraising events, ensuring that the events are seamless from beginning stages to execution. This role reports to the Director of Philanthropy and this role supervises the Events Assistant.
What you will be doing:
Events Management (60-70%)
- Responsible for the overall execution, implementation and management of Big Sisters events including fundraising, special, and recognition events, through the facilitation of volunteer committees and supervision of contractors
- Develop, plan, and monitor event budgets, work plans, and logistics including critical paths, event procedures, contacts, event suppliers, etc.
- Work closely with our accountant to ensure all event budgets are tracking and reconciled
- Oversee, manage and organize the coordination of silent auctions and raffles
- Oversee and manage invitation management, including coordinating distribution, managing RSVPs, and following up with invitees
- Recruit, train, supervise, support and recognize event volunteers in carrying out administrative, revenue generating and logistical duties
- Spearhead community event campaigns and solicit new partnerships for community fundraising events
- Manage all event committees, including answering questions, organizing meetings, and ensuring they have what they need to successfully perform their volunteer role
- Liaise, research and solicit vendors to secure services and coordinate vendor set-up on event day
- Work with the Graphic Design & Communications Coordinator to market events to the media, business community, Big Sisters’ network, and other relevant parties
Stewardship and Partnerships (30-40%)
- Research on potential funders / sponsors / donors as required; participates in the development and implementation of strategies to solicit funding from these sources
- Cultivates relationships with corporate partners to make them aware of the opportunities for partnerships for all events and programs; secures new corporate sponsorships for events and programs
- Ensure the database is properly maintained so that corporate prospects are identified and that all communications with these individuals are recorded
- Collaborate with the fundraising team to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward corporate donors for event sponsorships and agency partnerships; develops and implements strategies for closing
- Undertakes all recognition and stewardship with event partners, donors, guests, suppliers and volunteers ensuring all interests are fulfilled and provides post-event reporting, data and ensuring appropriate stewardship and recognition
- Participate in general agency functions, such as but not limited to, the Annual General Meeting, Volunteer Recognition Events, and the annual gala
- Assist in general agency functioning and performs other duties as requested or required
What you bring:
- Five (5) years of proven successful fundraising event management and partnerships, minimum two (2) years in a leadership role
- Post-secondary education or training in event coordination or fundraising would be ideal
- Executes, manages, and evaluates event timelines, production, and processes
- Excellent project management, implementation and evaluation skills
- Innovative and entrepreneurial in seeking out partnerships opportunities
- Strong written and verbal communication skills particularly as it relates to event communication, marketing, and reporting outcomes
- Create, track and manage event budgets
- Experience supporting peer-to-peer fundraising events
- Experience in volunteer management and in leading a team
- Brings a growth mindset with willingness to adapt to support various projects which arise throughout the year
- Effective relationship builder particularly with staff, vendors, donors, and partners
- Flexibility with work schedule to allow for some meetings and events that may be held outside of normal working hours (early mornings, evenings and weekends)
- Highly adept in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint), event platforms (Givergy, Trellis, Clickbid and other), and donor database software (Raiser’s Edge, RENXT or other fundraising database).
- You have a valid driver’s license and access to a car for out-of-office appointments (required)
What we offer:
- An opportunity to do meaningful work and make a positive impact in the community
- A supportive, positive and engaging work environment
- A commitment to work/life balance for employees
- An annual salary between $60,000 – $65,000 based on experience plus a comprehensive benefits package
- Fifteen vacation days within the first year of employment
- Commitment to training and development to support employee growth through our Pro-D benefit
This is a permanent, full-time 5-days per week (37.5 hours) position reporting to our Vancouver office. Daytime travel and some evening and weekend work will be required. The Big Sisters team is currently working primarily from home, but looking forward, we will be embracing a hybrid work environment.
For this position the candidate must be fully vaccinated. Accommodations will be considered upon request.
If this position sounds like you, please let us know why by submitting your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org