Mission, Vision and Core Values
Our Mission is to enable life-changing mentoring relationships to ignite the power and potential of young people.
Our Vision is that all young people realized their full potential.
Our Core Values are:
- We Champion Potential
- Every Connection Counts
- Showing Up Matters
Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland (BSBCLM) is a non-profit society and proud member agency of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada Federation. We are committed to enhancing the confidence, self-esteem and well-being of girls, non-binary or transgender youth. Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland is a leader in mentoring youth and providing ongoing support through a variety of engaging programs. Our organization is committed to diversity and inclusion and we encourage applications from those who identify as Indigenous, a person of colour, LGBTQ2+, a person with a disability or other community that experiences additional barriers. Join us and make a positive difference in the lives of others in the community.
Why it’s great to work with us:
Big Sisters is a friendly, inclusive and committed team that offers their employees 15 vacation days within the first year as well as 15 wellbeing days. We provide a generous health care and extended benefits package, including prescription drugs and dental plan. As well, we provide our employees with a professional development allocation and various learning opportunities. Ignite your full potential with Big Sisters!
Is this you?
You are an experienced administrative professional who manages the work by approaching each day with high energy, thoughtful intelligence, and genuine interest in bringing creative solutions to complex problems. You are highly organized and known as the “drives for results” team member, who juggles multiple schedules, projects, confidential material, and follows up on actions items, and timely dissemination of information that flows to multiple stakeholders. Your communication and thoughtful decision making brings clarity to situations, and is always delivered with tact, compassion, and researched, relevant facts for diverse stakeholder groups. You are truly a master of thinking strategically and making things happen; spotting opportunities and articulating situations, creating efficiencies and making certain each detail is properly identified and addressed. As the Board Liaison and Executive Administrator, you build collaborative relationships and inspire trust as you work closely with Big Sisters BCLM Executive Director (ED), Board Chair, Committee Chairs, Honorary Advisory Board (HAB) Chair and Senior Leadership Team (SLT). You lead with courage as you ensure the smooth and efficient execution of agency administrative activities by managing all aspects of Board operations; coordinating reporting and senior level administrate functions for the Board and its committees.
What you will be doing:
- Schedules and coordinates meeting logistics (e.g. communication, RSVPs, venue, catering, parking,)
- Prepares and distributes meeting agendas and materials
- Attends meetings to inform resulting communications, decisions and actions
- Transcribes and distributes meeting minutes
- Manages Board and SLT’s annual workplan and schedule, including policy review and creation
- Anticipates needs and proactively brings items forward for consideration by ED, SLT, Committees, Board and HAB
- Monitors the status of goals/action items/projects through to completion and evaluation for ED, SLT, Committee, Board and HAB
- Arranges and books travel, accommodation and professional development for ED, SLT, and Board
- Supports the implementation of new agency policies and procedures
- Organizes and manages the flow of information and secure filing of documentation
- Looks for opportunities to gain efficiencies through automation of administrative tasks
- Reviews issues and prepares reports to the BSBCLM Boards such as briefing notes, issue papers and updates for ED, to support policy development and governance
- Assesses complex, multifaceted issues, engaging internal and external stakeholders, and develops recommendations; communicates recommendations, risks and alternatives
- Maintains an awareness of issues and problems under discussion and uses discretion in receiving and handling incoming calls or correspondence by responding directly or referring to senior staff
- Collects and analyses information for review by SLT; reads and coordinates information and outgoing correspondence. Disseminates information on a daily basis to senior staff. Maintains a follow-up system to ensure that action has been taken or replies have been initiated
- Maintains Board terms of office records and coordinates the submission of requests for the recruitment of new Board Directors with the Board Chair and ED
- In collaboration with ED and Board/Committee Chairs, drafts board/committee agendas, maintains the annual reporting calendar and workplans and action logs for Board and committee meetings, plans the annual schedule of the Board, committee and AGM, well as coordinating the administrative aspects of the Board’s office functions including travel to Board meetings, provides orientation for new Board members
- Participates in general agency functions, such as but not limited to, the Annual General Meeting, Volunteer Recognition Event, strategic planning sessions, staff retreats and professional development and the annual signature fundraising events
- Assists in general agency functioning and performs other duties as requested or required
What you bring:
- Minimum of six years’ experience and education providing professional administrative leadership and support to an executive leader (ED/CEO/COO) and Board
- Post-secondary education in Administration is an asset
DEMONSTRATED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of Board governance functions.
- Established experience in planning and executing Board meetings including setting agendas, recording issues and actions, recording and distributing minutes.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office 365 tools (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and databases. Keeps abreast of changes in technology to ensure efficiencies in administrative tasks.
- Strong computer and financial application skills including demonstrated ability to productively use spreadsheet, PPT and database applications.
- Works in a highly organized manner, attending to details and providing clear direction.
- Performs responsibilities in a professional manner; applying good judgement, keeping confidences, representing those they support and the values of the agency. Acts as a sounding board to ED.
- Looks ahead, asks questions, anticipates what is needed and takes initiative to move things along.
- Excellent communication skills. Adapts communication style as needed on behalf of those they support.
- Leads projects and takes ownership for outcomes collaboratively with those they support.
- Creates networks, engages and works with others with an aim to make things happen.
- Collaborative leadership skills in working with diverse groups and individuals to identify issues, design solutions, follow up with action, and evaluate results.
- Advocates for and applies the principles of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion in all aspects of your work. Engages in continual learning in this area.
- Willingness and ability to work outside normal hours as reasonably requested to support Agency needs.
What we offer:
- An opportunity to do meaningful work and make a positive impact in the community
- A supportive, positive and engaging work environment
- A commitment to work/life balance for employees
- A comprehensive benefit package
- 15 vacation days within the first year of employment, pro-rated
- Commitment to training and development to support employee growth through our professional development benefit
This is a full-time 5-days per week (37.5 hours) position. Daytime travel and evening work will be required.
For this position the candidate must be fully vaccinated. Accommodations will be considered upon request.
If this position sounds like you, please let us know why by submitting your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org