Mission, Vision and Core Values
Our Mission is to enable life-changing mentoring relationships to ignite the power and potential of young people.
Our Vision is that all young people realize their full potential
Our Core Values are:
- We Champion Potential
- Every Connection Counts
- Showing Up Matters
Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland is a non-profit society and proud member of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Canada Federation. We are committed to enhancing the confidence, self-esteem, and well-being of female, female-identifying, non-binary, gender fluid, transgender, and Two Spirit youth. Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland is a leader in mentoring youth and providing ongoing support through a variety of engaging programs. Our organization is committed to diversity and inclusion and we encourage applications from those who identify as Indigenous, a person of colour, 2SLGBTQIA+, a person with a disability, or member of another community that experiences additional barriers. Join us and make a positive difference in the lives of others in the community.
Why it’s great to work with us:
Big Sisters is a friendly, inclusive, and committed team. We offer competitive total compensation packages including a hybrid work environment, a shortened work week (35 hours per week) and flexible scheduling, and paid time off that includes up to fifteen vacation days, up to fifteen wellbeing days, and up to three personal days in the first year of employment. Additionally, we provide a generous health care and extended benefits package, including prescription drugs and dental coverage, a professional development allocation, and various learning opportunities.
Is this you?
You are a detail-oriented, organized individual who has the experience to lead a team to plan and execute internal and external events to support the organization’s fundraising goals. You are passionate and keen about meeting and building relationships with individuals that support the organization’s mission and vision.
The Manager, Events and Partnerships is responsible for a $1.2 million fundraising event and partnerships portfolio, which currently consists of two signature fundraising events and one partnership event, as well as national and local partnerships. The incumbent is also responsible for supporting and executing donor cultivation & stewardship events, education & awareness events, and other internal and external events such as Volunteer Appreciation, Winterfest, and the Summer BBQ. In collaboration with the Senior Director, Philanthropy and Campaigns, and with support from the Fundraising team, they lead the corporate giving portfolio and are the relationship manager for sponsors and partners. In line with Big Sisters’ strategic pillar to develop financial resilience, the Manager will diversify the organization’s fundraising portfolio and lead the growth of event and partnership fundraising.
What you will be doing:
- Lead the business planning, launch and analysis of new fundraising initiatives, with activities such as committee development and management, sponsor and partner solicitation, fundraising strategy development, etc.
- Support with budgeting, implementing fundraising best practices, building participant journeys, and deploying event communications
- Develop strategic fundraising messaging collectively with Fundraising and Marketing & Communications teams
- Anticipate and plan for future events, partnerships, trends, challenges, and opportunities, exploring existing community initiatives as potential opportunities
- Plan, implement, and lead internal and external signature and third-party events according to the overall events calendar and organizational goals
- Develop, plan, and maintain detailed records around critical paths, procedures, training, and contacts
- Act as lead committee liaison for signature events, managing all event committee meetings
- Lead volunteer management for events, including oversight of recruitment, training, supervision, support, and recognition for all volunteers
- Manage and maintain relationships with event vendors and contractors
- Work in collaboration with the Marketing & Communications team to ensure communications materials and branded items are within the organization’s brand guidelines
SPONSORSHIPS & PARTNERSHIPS
- Research potential funders, sponsors, partners, and donors as required
- Participate in the development and implementation of solicitation strategies
- In collaboration with members of the fundraising team, lead creation of event sponsorships, secure and cultivate event sponsors, participation and/or donation from individuals, corporations, etc.
- Build relationships and engage constituents through personalized touchpoints, including in-person presentations and kick-offs, coaching and/or goal-setting meetings, stewardship calls, and committee meetings
- Create and manage agreements for sponsors and partners, and work with internal departments to ensure all deliverables are fulfilled
DONOR RELATIONS & STEWARDSHIP
- Lead customer service and stewardship for sponsors, partners, and event-related constituents
- Ensure all stewardship and recognition materials for sponsors, partners, and event participants are regularly reviewed and updated
- Ensure delivery of acknowledgements, receipts, recognition, and reporting to event sponsors, partners, donors, guests, vendors, suppliers, volunteers, etc.
- Ensure timely submission of data for processing of contributions/donations
LEADERSHIP & HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
- Oversee one full-time permanent direct report; conducting performance reviews to ensure performance goals are achieved
- Support, mentor, and coach seasonal and temporary staff, including interns, co-op students, summer students, and practicum students, as needed
- Maintain a community presence through membership in local and/or regional professional groups
- Update and maintain database to reflect interactions with all constituents, including communications sent and received, meetings, volunteer commitments, etc.
- Participate in general organization functions, such as but not limited to, the Annual General Meeting, Volunteer Recognition Events, and the annual gala
- Attend all team, department, and organization meetings
- Assist in general organization functioning and perform other duties as requested or required
What you bring:
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
- Four (4) plus years of proven successful event management and partnerships, in progressively senior roles
- Two (2) years leading / supervising a team
- Experience and comfort with public speaking
- Post-Secondary education or training in event coordination or fundraising would be ideal
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge NXT, Microsoft Suite, Adobe Suite, and event management programs preferred
- Ability to understand, communicate and support the mission, vision, and values of the organization
- Experience in not-for-profit leadership preferred
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience will be considered
What we offer:
- An opportunity to do meaningful work and make a positive impact in the community
- A supportive, positive and engaging work environment and commitment to work/life balance for employees
- A hybrid work environment – two mandated days per week in office, the option to work the balance of days at home if desired
- An annual salary of $70,000
Additional details, including a full job description can be found here.
Please note: Big Sisters staff must be fully vaccinated against COVID 19. Accommodations will be considered on request.
If this position sounds like you, please let us know why by submitting your resume and cover letter to email@example.com using the subject line: Manager, Events & Partnerships
Applications will be reviewed as they are received; this posting will close without notice when the position is filled.