“Offering my time and support to my Little Sister is one of the most fulfilling things I have done in my life” – Big Sister Mentor Carolyn
“Being a Big Sister is not about fixing kids or making them better – it’s about just being there for them” – Big Sister Mentor Muryn
Step 1. General Information
The Big Sisters mentoring program provides girls with a role model and a friend with whom to talk to and share the experiences of growing up. Through regular outings, a relationship is developed between the mentor and the Little Sister, that is built on trust and common interests, and is supported by our experienced caseworkers. The result is a life-changing experience for both the volunteer mentor and Little Sister. Remember—you are a mentor! You will always have a caseworker assigned to you to help in case any issues come up. Big Sisters strive to do the following:
- Provide a role model and friend for girls and young women (ages 7-17)
- Promote the importance of staying in school and healthy relationships with family and peers
- Instill trust and self-confidence in order to make healthy decisions
- Encourage leadership skills and independent thinking
- Above all, make a difference while having fun! (Check out our match activity ideas!)
Step 2. Requirements
To become a Big Sister mentor, you must be:
- Age 19 or older
- Mature, stable, reliable and respectful of others
- A Canadian resident for the past year (or able to provide an International Criminal Records Check)
- Able to commit to spending 2-4 hours a week with your Little Sister for a minimum of 1 year (yes, occasional vacations and work travel are fine!)
- Interested in developing a positive friendship with a girl aged 7-17
Step 3. Apply Now!
We’re so glad you’re interested in becoming a Big Sister Mentor! Before continuing, please take a moment to review the following slideshow about being a mentor:
The application form is quite detailed. We gather as much information as possible so we can make the best match between you and a Little Sister. Instructions to initiate your Criminal Records Check (CRC) are in the application document. Don’t forget to include a picture of yourself and confirm that you initiated your CRC when you send us your application.
Download the application form, save your answers and send to us!
Step 4. Next Steps
You will receive a confirmation email when you submit your application. Your application will be processed and your references contacted within 2-4 weeks. Once all your references are complete, we will be in touch to register you for an upcoming training session. After you attend training and your CRC (and, if applicable, your live-in partner’s) is completed, your caseworker will schedule an in-person interview with you.
Finally, your application will be reviewed for acceptance. Once accepted, we’ll begin finding a Little Sister for you. We try to match you with a girl who lives in your city and shares similar interests. Your caseworker will provide you with on-going support and check-ins during your match.