Big Sisters in BC Lower Mainland:
creating friendships since 1960...
Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland's roots began in the late 1950's when a group of professional women began working with girls at the St. Euphrasias School. The women would each spend Saturday afternoons with a girl, shopping, playing games, and doing outdoor activities. Although the benefits of these relationships were acknowledged, it was also recognized that a greater impact could be made with a more permanent situation.
By 1956, Big Sisters had grown significantly and a professional social worker was employed two days a week. In 1960, the organization registered under the Societies Act under the name Big Sisters of Greater Vancouver. In 1977, the name was changed to Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland to recognize the program expansion.
Today, Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland is a thriving organization of over 600 volunteers, 767 girls served in 2015, 22 employees, a Board of Directors and Honourary Advisory Board, and many community supporters.
The Communities We Serve
Vancouver, Richmond, North & West Vancouver, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, New Westminster, Surrey/White Rock, Delta, Tsawwassen and Ladner.